Sunday, May 22, 2011

Tornadoes, Graduation(s), and New People

Things have been a little hectic here lately, which is why I haven't posted.  Mom's graduation went well, except for the fact that my camera refuses to take good pictures in gigantic rooms from large distances, so I have almost no good pictures of her graduating, but I did get a very funny video of her waving her diploma at us (I was there with my aunt and uncle), and we got some group pictures, which unfortunately have the color balance messed up on them.  When I put them on the computer, I'm going to edit them and hopefully fix them.

Friday was Girl Child's sixth grade graduation, and everyone in the house except the dogs and M went to see it.  I got some pictures of her getting her certificates, but unfortunately missed out on getting some good pictures because the Toddler was screaming and had to be removed.  Friday was a nothing-special kind of day beyond that.

Yesterday was a pretty good day.  J let S and me sleep in and took care of the Toddler for awhile until we got up, partly because the Toddler woke up at midnight and didn't go back to sleep until like 5:30 and then woke up at 7:00.  Nobody got much sleep, even with me going to bed at 7:30, so it was a fucked kind of morning.  Then we had errands, and then S had an errand that she had to go on and I needed to get the house at least partially cleaned up because we were having a new person over, and I was having a hard time getting J out of bed, so there was a bit of a meltdown on my part because I couldn't get everything done and felt like an epic failure.  The only upside of the afternoon was that the Toddler actually napped, unlike Friday when he fell asleep in the car for a few minutes and then absolutely refused to nap at home.

J's new friend from work came to visit yesterday, which was why I was cleaning so frantically.  I managed to get the hallway completely clear of laundry and J took it all to the basement in trash bags for me, and J got the toys and other stuff picked up off the floor, and then we collapsed onto the furniture until J's new friend arrived.  I'm not sure what to call her, her name also starts with an A, so I think I'll call her AB, which are her initials.  (Thirty seconds of Facebook sleuthing to find that out.  Whee.)  Anyway, she was a completely new entity to me, so I was a bit shy/aloof at first, because that's just how I am with new people sometimes.  It wasn't until S got home awhile later that I loosened up and got a bit more comfortable.  J grilled pork chops and steaks and we had a team effort on the veggies, and then the Toddler needed a second bath because he was completely covered in food goop.

As a side note, while I was clearing out the laundry, a fat black spider fell on my chest from the inside of some clothes, and managed to bite me on my collarbone before being flung to the floor, where J killed it while I flailed hysterically and held the Toddler behind me.  With a bottle of Wet.  Yes.  It's funny now, but at the time it was horrible.  Anyway, my collarbone is itchy.

W and A didn't arrive until after 10:00, with LW, so we started game very late, and just as we were really starting to get involved in it, I heard tornado sirens.  A went to the door and said that the air felt stagnant and completely still, and S jumped up and leaped across the room to her computer to check the weather radar because we don't have a weather radio right now, said that there was a tornado that looked like it was heading straight for us, and we all mobilized and started grabbing stuff.  I went and scared the living hell out of Girl Child by bursting into her room and yelling the essentials at her, then grabbed the Toddler out of bed (he didn't even wake up) and ran downstairs with him.  A started crying with LW in her arms because their dogs and cat were alone in their apartment and she was scared they'd die, and then she started trying to get in contact with her mother, but her phone didn't get reception in the basement, even by the window, so she tried AB's phone, which also had no reception, so I sent someone up to get my phone so A could try it, but all she could do was access the internet on it, it wouldn't call or send texts.  (It limited us to emergency calls only and nobody thought to grab the house phone.)  After awhile, S decided it would be safe to go back upstairs, so I put the Toddler back to bed (and luckily he didn't cry), and we called game for the night.  I also managed to get LW to sleep for a little while, too, until W and A decided to go home.

This reminded me of a Thank God School's Over party in high school where there were severe storms and we ended up in the basement being terrified that we'd be blown away.  I don't remember enough about that specific party to give more details than that, but it was pretty special.

J let me sleep until 9:30 this morning, and since he went to bed and I got up, the Toddler has thrown several tantrums, which somehow did not wake AB, he attempted to bite me during a time-out, and now he's chilling out in his high chair and we're just sitting around the living room.

I'm pretty sure today is going to be a nothing-much kind of day, too.  That's okay, because I like it that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment