Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Captain Gimpy and the Toddler

S and I are secretly about 14 years old.  ("I wish my fingernails were like yours, I hate mine."  "Yeah, well, I wish my fingernails were like yours."  "You shut up."  "You shut up.")

I went to bed at 2:00 this morning, due to my inability to sleep, with a towel on the couch under a sheet, because the ice pack J made for S yesterday afternoon leaked very badly without our knowledge.  I set my alarm clock for 7:00 and am exhausted already, and it's barely 10.  I can't wait until the Toddler goes down for his nap, I may nap, too.

Today, I have made coffee, juggled the Toddler on my hip while trying to set up the high chair one handed, fed the Toddler, prepared mugs of coffee for S and myself, and made my own breakfast (Cocoa Puffs).  The Toddler had a banana and Cocoa Puffs.

The Wiggles are really strange.  ("Fruit Salad.  Yummy yummy.  Fruit Salad.  Yummy yummy.")

I plan on getting all the laundry I can downstairs today, and maybe vacuuming the hallway today if I can manage it.  I think I'm also making dinner, but I'm not sure what's happening with that yet, since S and I haven't really discussed it.

What is this with the Toddler's obsession with his mother's shoes?  Crazy baby.  He's gigantic.  I remember when I met him last February, he was so little.  And he barfed on me.  (Well, spit up, not really barf.)  He's almost up to my waist now, and he talks a little, and he is rapidly developing his own personality.  It's so cool to watch someone develop and change like that.

Sometimes I think he's as close as I'll get to ever having a kid of my own.

S polished his toenails green yesterday morning.  It actually looks REALLY cute, especially since he basically has his mother's feet, so his feet look really nice with polish on them, just like his momma's.

I have a huge reading list that I'm working my way through, here are the books I have checked out of the library now that I haven't read yet:

The Lost Continent: Travels In Small-Town America - Bill Bryson (currently about halfway through)
The Great Typo Hunt by Jeff Deck and Benjamin D. Herson
Grimm's Fairy Tales by The Brothers Grimm
Hans Christian Anderson's Fairy Tales by Hans Christian Anderson
(both of the fairy tale books are closer to the original stories, so there's more blood and murder and pitchforks)
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
The Time-Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

 Books on hold that I haven't picked up/aren't available yet:

Serenity Vol. 3: The Shepherd's Tale by Zack Whedon and Joss Whedon (I'm still waiting for Vol. 2: Better Days to be available, but I don't necessarily need to read them in order.)
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain
Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
The Canterbury Tales by Geoffery Chauser
A Girl Could Stand Up by Leslie Marshall (I've already read this a few times, but it's really good.)
Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson
Neither Here Nor There: Travels in Europe by Bill Bryson
Fly Away Home by Jennifer Weiner
Pushed: The Painful Truth About Childbirth and Modern Maternity Care by Jennifer Block
Chasing Fire by Nora Roberts

(I've got other holds, too, but they're either books I've already read a couple of times or are holds for S and the Toddler.)

Books I have out that I've already finished:

The Girl She Used to Be by David Cristofano
Nanny Returns by Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus
Serenity Vol. 1: Those Left Behind by Joss Whedon

There are also a few books that I have out that I got for the Toddler, but he's not very interested in reading these days, so I may wait a few more months before getting more out for him, like when he stop trying to destroy everything in the world and actually will sit and let us read a whole book to him instead of letting us get four pages in and then wanting to run around and shred the book.  Hilarious.

Anyway, I need to get going, I have to pick up my available holds.  Woo-hoo!  Anyway, today isn't the greatest day ever, but I'm still in a terrific mood, even with trying to keep the Toddler out of the laundry and everything else he's after.  All in all, just a regular day, even with Captain Gimpy (S) being almost completely out of commission, poor thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment